There are a number of potential causes of hearing loss, including:
- Exposure to excessive loud noise over a period of time.
- Ear infections, trauma, or ear disease.
- Harm of the inner ear and ear drum from contact with a foreign object (such as cotton swabs).
- Illness or certain medications that may be ototoxic.
- Deteriorating hearing due to the normal aging process.
By far, the most common cause of hearing loss is exposure to excessive noise over time. We live in a noisy world, and sometimes, our employment or recreational choices can impact our hearing. Even personal listening devices and cell phone use can impact our hearing. This exposure causes irreversible damage to the hair cells within the cochlea.